[Startseite] > [Über den Verein] > [About the ÖIAV]

Österreichischer Ingenieur- und Architekten Verein (ÖIAV)
Eschenbachgasse 9, A - 1010 Wien, Austria
Tel.: +43 1 5873536, Fax.: +43 1 5873536 5, e-mail : office@oiav.at
President: Univ.Prof. Dipl.-Ing. Dr. techn. Dr. h.c. Heinz Brandl
Gen. secr.: Dipl.-Ing. Dr.techn. Georg Widtmann
General Information

On June 8th, 1848 still under the impression of the bloody Revolution in Vienna and in the bordering countries of the Monarchy, where social unrest simply had turned into an upheaval for national freedom, the Austrian Engineers- and Architects Society (ÖIAV) was founded by Adalbert Schmid and Friedrich Schnirch. It has been the third oldest society of this kind in the world!
Scope and Tasks
The Austrian Society of Engineers and Architects is a public society which has the promotion / application of the technical sciences to the advantage of mankind as its goal. The society sees itself as mediator / controller between technique, institutions and the public.
It is its duty, to raise the reputation of the status of engineers and architects on behalf of their profession and ethics and to sustain the tradition of great national technicians, inventors and architects.

The "Österreichische Ingenieur- und Architekten-Zeitschrift" (ÖIAZ) is the public organ of the society. It offers information, reports and scientific publications.
The periodical is edited 6 times a year (inclusively 2 technical-scientific special issues)
Activities:
- Performances, presentations, symposia, reception of
- visitors, guided technical tours
- Liaison with technical institutions in Austria and abroad
- Professional stage of initiation, consultancy and control of technical affairs, contests etc.
- Contacts to the media, institutions and ministries concerning inquiries and problems of technique, formation and economy
- Support to the newly forming technical generation
- Edition of technical publications
Foundation: Siegfried Marcus-Stiftung
The Chronology of the Austrian Engineers - and Architects Society (ÖIAV)

At the turn of the 19th century great technical, industrial and social revolutions occurred requiring a revision of educational and social standings.
on November 6th 1815 founding of the Imperial Royal Polytechnical Institute - today's University of Technology of Vienna

  • 1840 founding of the Lower Austrian Chamber of Trades
  • 1848, year of revolutions and end of the Metternich era: foundation of the Austrian Society of Engineers by Adalbert Schmid and Friedrich Schnirch
  • 1849 first issue of the society's periodical
  • 1855 Application of novel materials in technology (Bessemer steel) and in civil engineering (concrete)
  • in March 1857 the society's member Alois Negrelli proposes the direct penetration of the Isthmus of Suez
  • 1858 participation of our architects in the urban expansion policy
    Acceptance of the architects into the society
    Establishment of the Austrian railroad network
  • 1865 planning of the Viennese water conduit
  • 1872 construction of the Vienna city hall by the cathedral-architect and president of the society Friedrich Schmidt
    November 26th 1872 inauguration of our building by Emperor Francis Joseph 1
  • Era of Ringstraßen-architecture under participation of many of our members
  • 1914 - 1918 war industry, collapse of the imperial and royal monarchy
  • Era of the new mechanical engineering, of industrialisation and of social upheavals
  • March l2th 1938 dissolution of the society after Austria's annexation by Nazi Germany
  • October 15th 1945 resumption of activities in the postwar era
  • 1956 incorporation of all regional societies
  • from 1962 onwards foundation of various professional divisions, incorporation with international organisations (WFEO, FEANI and FISITA); international symposia on specialised professional topics
  • 1980 IVBH-Congress
  • 1984 FISITA-Congress for automotive industry - incorporation within the OIAV as requested by Federal Chancellor Dr. Bruno Kreisky
  • 1988 establishment of the Siegfried Marcus Foundation
  • Close association with the SAE: "Total Life Cycle"-symposia (now: Environmental Sustainability, Conference and Exposition, Land, Sea & Air Mobility) in 1,5 year cycles between USA and Austria
  • on June 8th 1998 celebration of the "l50th Anniversary" of the ÖIAV under high academic and political presentation (rector of the TU Vienna Univ.-Prof. Dr. P. Skalicky and Federal Chancellor Mag. V. Klima) as well as participation of many of our members.
Our Traditional Banner was designed for the occasion of the ceremonial parade for the Silver Wedding Jubilee on April 24th 1879 of the Imperial Majesties by our president at that time, cathedral architect Friedrich Schmidt and presented to the public. Today - an item of cultural history!
The portray of Galileo Galilei embossed on the truck of the flag pole is enveloped by his maxim 'E pur si muove." The flag cloth in the purple colours of our society depicts our designation enveloped by the coats of arms of the former countries of Cisleithania.
From left, top to the right, bottom:
Lower Austria, Silesia, Bohemia, Salzburg, Moravia;
Styria, Carinthia ;
Tyrol, Krain;
Galicia, Gorizia/Gradisca, Upper Austria, Triest, Vorarlberg.
The Austrian Society of Engineers and Architects Today

Even today many important personalities from science, industry, economy and culture are members of our society and have been working in public interest at home and abroad.
The Austrian Society of Engineers and Architects acquires more and more the role of consultancy and mediation for innovation and tradition. Thanks to the universal education and international scope of experiences of its members it comprises a tremendous potential - which offers itself to be exploited as well - for mutual benefit.

Famous Members from Long Ago

    Architecture and Civil Engineering

  • Heinrich Frh. von Ferstel, (1828-1883), Ringstraße urban architect
  • Theophil Frh. von Hansen, (1813-1891), Ringstraße urban architect
  • Clemens Holzmeister, (1886-1983), Modern international architect
  • Eduard van der Nüll, (1812-1868), Ringstraße urban architect
  • Friedrich Frh. von Schmidt, (1825-1891), Cathedral- and Ringstraße architect
  • August Siccard von Siccardsburg, (1813-1868), Ringstraße architect
  • Otto Wagner, (1841 -1918), Art Nouveau architect

  • Inventions and Technical Sciences
  • Fritz von Emperger, (1862 -1942), Reinforced concrete
  • Viktor Kaplan, (1876- 1934), Water turbine inventor
  • Carl Ritter von Ghega, (1802 -1860), Semmering railroad construction
  • Hans List, (1896 - 1996), Internal combustion engines
  • Heinrich Mache, (1876 -1954), Physics
  • Alois Negrelli, (1799 -1858), Railroad- and road construction Siegfried Marcus, (1831 -1895), First motorcar with modern features
  • Johann von Radinger, (1842 -1901), Steam engine
  • Rudolf Saliger, (1883 -1963), Reinforced concrete construction
  • Karl von Terzaghi, (1883 - 1963), Soil Mechanics

    Industry
  • Arthur Krupp, (1856 -1938), Metallurgy
  • Ludwig Lohner, (1858 -1925), Vehicular construction
  • Adolf Freiherr von Pittel, (1838 -1900), Civil construction
  • Josef Werndl, (1831 -1889), Weaponry (Steyr)
  • Paul Schoeller, (1853 -1925), Steel Manufacturing

    Economy and Politics
  • Wilhelm Exner, (1840 -1931), Head of Institutions: TMW, TGM, Boku
  • Julius Raab, (1891- 1964), Federal Chancellor
  • Leopold Figl, (1902 -1965), Foreign Secretary
  • Karl Rabus, (1910 -1992), Mechanical Engineering
Helmut W. Malnig, Sept. 2004
zurück

Österreichischer Ingenieur- und Architektenverein - Landesverein Salzburg
A - 5020 Salzburg - Alpenstraße 157 - Tel.: +43 662 629574 - FAX.: +43 662 621758-199 - e-mail: office@oeiav-salzburg.at

Sekretariats-Öffnungszeiten: Mo -Fr: 7:30 - 12:00 Uhr / 13:00 - 17:00 Uhr Fr: 7:30 - 13:30 Uhr


[Aktuelles]
[Vereinsnachrichten] [Aktuelle Informationen]
[Fachveranstaltungen] [Reisen]
[Informationssystem]
[Links] [Aufsätze]
[Stellenmarkt]
[Allgemeines]
[Kontakt] [Impressum]

Durchsuchen Sie diese Web Site powered by FreeFind

 

© 11.01.2005
bvfs WEBdesign